Updated: Jul 12, 2021
1. Muscle helps your body manage your blood sugar.
When you work out, your muscles use more glucose, which is the sugar in your bloodstream. Over time, this can lower your blood sugar levels.
PLUS, having more muscle also helps your body improve how it uses insulin. This can help ward off metabolic issues and diabetes.
2. Muscles keep you STRONG. Muscles power all of your activities – from dancing to hiking to gardening to walking up the stairs to strolling the beach or rollerskating!
And you need to work your muscles on a regular basis to keep them strong. We start to lose muscle mass at the age of 30 and the rate just increases as you get older.
3. Muscle helps you burn more calories. Not just while you’re being active, but ‘round the clock. Studies show that 10 pounds of muscle burn 50 calories in a day, while 10 pounds of fat burns just 20 calories.
It might not seem like a lot, but over time, this really adds up and can mean the difference between living in a body that has to work harder to function properly or one with well-functioning systems and processes.
🤓 Please note that calorie burn IS NOT a marker of a “good” workout and varies by the individual due to a multitude of factors including body size and composition, sex, and age.
4. Muscles (indirectly) help boost your mood and self-esteem. When you have strong, balanced muscles, you usually have better posture. And better posture is correlated with better moods and more confidence!
5. Having strong muscles is good for your joints AND your bones. Your joints: regular exercise that strengthens the muscles around your joints can help them move better and be less painful.
Your bones: weight-bearing exercises can help you build your bones and keep them strong as you age.
6. Strong muscles keep you alive. Your heart is a muscle, after all! Exercise strengthens your heart muscle, helps with weight control, and helps prevent damage to your arteries caused by high cholesterol, blood sugar, and blood pressure.
7. Having strong muscles improves your quality of LIFE. It can give you the energy and strength to be active and try new things!
Give your muscles some attention in our group classes, in the studio/gym, build your own workout or follow along with one we've already written for you in our app. Her365 Fitness offers you many options to choose from when it comes to keeping your body strong. Book a session with us today!